Hi everyone! In the next months I will try to publish posts about translators’ professional associations. I had a look on the internet and there do not seem to be articles comparing and contrasting professional associations in terms of costs, what they offer, admission requirements, etc.
I have thought about a set of criteria that should include the most important points for each association. However, before the beginning of this ‘blogging mission’ I would like your opinion about those criteria. It would be great to hear what you think!
– Name of the association
– Student membership: yes/no, price, pre-requisites, notes (e.g. how long you can be a student member for)
– Full membership: price, pre-requisites
– Other membership types
– Exam: yes/no, price, pre-requisites, exam content
– Continual professional development includes: seminars, webinars, networking events, budding programmes, etc.
– Chapters/sections language-related and/or by topic: yes/no, how many
– Members-only publications: yes/no, notes (e.g. which ones, online/paper version, number of issues per year)
My plan is to analyse at least 10 professional associations. However, since I do not speak an infinite number of languages, I will start with English, Italian, German and French. If you want to help me out with other languages, you are more than welcome to do so! It would be great to have some guests on the blog!